Sunday, March 4, 2012

One Year in the ROK

A whole year has passed and I've been living/working in Korea...February 21st was my one year anniversary...kinda hard to believe.  I've now experienced one year of teaching phonics to 5 year old Korean children (that would make them 4 years old since Koreans consider themselves 1 year of age at birth).

So I've decided to renew my contract teaching at my current school for another year.  I will eventually make it back home to Atlanta, but only after I've made a few stops along the way.  AND when I do make it back home, I'm uncertain as to how long I will stay.  My future is unknown and it feels wonderful!  I've sailed away from the safe harbor.  I better get my butt in gear and begin my post-Korea plans.  Currently I plan to be on the road, but not sure for how long.  A SE Asia tour sounds about right (which will include about a month or so stay in the Philippines touring and meeting my mother's family), possibly stops in the lands of OZ and Kiwi, and I better pop on over to Hawaii to say hello to my lola (grandmother)...just thinking out loud.  I miss Hawaii.  While watching the modern day Hawaii Five-0, I find myself constantly reminiscing about my childhood living on the island of Oahu.

For the time being, I better make my Korea to-do list.  Before I know it, I will blink my eyes and it will be 2013 and my time here in the Hermit Kingdom will come to an end.

My one regret is that I wish I had done this years ago...moved to another country, or other countries, to live and work and experience life.  Although I shouldn't complain since I'm doing it now...better late than never.  Plus, I wouldn't have the wonderful people in my life that I have now.


While living abroad, doesn't matter which country, you realize that there are certain "luxuries" from "home" which you can live/do without (I'll leave this to your wild imagination).  I'm constantly learning how strong, and extroverted, I am/can be.  I recently asked one of my very good friends here if I seemed shy.  To my surprise she said no.  I guess I can be shy depending on the situation.



"Who are you?" said the Caterpillar.
Alice replied, rather shyly, "I-I hardly know, Sir, just at the present--at least I know who I was when i got up this morning, but I think I must have been changed several times since then."









No comments:

Post a Comment