Tuesday, March 1, 2011

My first week in Seoul!

Despite the name of my site, I was a zombie during my first week here in Seoul.  After less than eight hours of sleep from Thursday night (Feb. 17th) through Monday (Feb. 21st), which includes my 15 hour non-stop flight from Atlanta to South Korea, I was definitely out of it.  I landed in Oz and didn't know what to think.



It's Monday, Feb. 21st, around 4:30pm.  My plane has landed at Incheon International Airport, I picked up my luggage and walked through customs to find a sign with my name on it, along with a Korean man waiting to drive me to Hannam-dong in Seoul.  The drive from the airport seemed as if it took forever.  Traffic was heavy, but then again, it was Monday evening around 6pm.  I was dropped off at my apartment and was in a complete state of shock while eating dinner.  There was definitely a system overload.  There's so much to take in.

My apartment is small, but that's expected.  It's one big room with a kitchenette and a bathroom where the shower head is connected to the sink.  The bed is extremely hard, so I definitely plan to splurge/invest in some bedding.  I need my rest since I will be teaching 5 year olds, they're really 3 to 4 year olds.






Day two, my first full day in Korea, consisted of arriving at the school, Bambini Education Center in Hannam-dong, finding out what I will be teaching, opening up a bank account and aimlessly wandering around.  I was originally supposed to meet up with my brother, Woody, but this zombie had to sleep.



 Walking along the north side of the Han River.




Oh yeah, I can't forget about the Korean BBQ for lunch...yummy!



On day three, the new foreign teachers observed a few classes, met the current foreign teachers, had lunch at the school and went on our merry ways.  I was able to muster up enough energy to meet up with Woody for dinner.  It was great seeing him.  

On day four, the 7 year olds graduated from kindergarten.  It's the end of the school year.  I won't start teaching until the next school year, which begins on March 3rd.



Day five, it's Friday.  The new teachers had to get a health screening...no big deal, standard procedure.






Phew!  I actually made it through the week (the weekend is a different story and post).  I have never consumed so much coffee in one week and I don't think that's going to change.  Now I just need to work on my sleeping schedule.  Haha...easier said than done.

I would be lying if I said that "did I make the right decision?" wasn't running through my mind as the plane was landing.  I will be teaching Phonics to Korean kindergarteners in Seoul, South Korea for a year.  The closest I've ever come to teaching is training co-workers.  Talk about a huge change!  As far as I'm concerned, I'm stepping into the unknown...a different culture, language, way of life.  Surprisingly enough though, I'm neither scared nor nervous.  I'm excited and curious as to how this experience will turn out, and at the same time I'm sad about leaving behind my family and friends.

1 comment:

  1. "did i make the right decision" will probably run through your head until the end of the year. BUT there will be LOTS for awesomeness between now and then :) and hopefully some sleep too??? WELCOME!

    ReplyDelete